Tough start for Dragons First XI

Hockey news.
Hockey news.
Share this article

Bourne Deeping Hockey Club’s men’s first XI started the league season with a 6-3 loss to old adversaries Ipswich East Suffolk at Arthur Mellows on Saturday.

Three defensive miss controls and passing errors gave the visitors an early advantage as they went 0-3 up within the first 10 minutes.

As the half progressed the home side started to find a way of fighting back. With a shuffle of the deck and moving some players about BDHC were soon creating chances of their own. The returning Nick Brocklehurst was testing the visiting keeper at every opportunity but was unable to beat the IES stopper. The visitors added a four goal in a breakaway effort. Within the dying moments of the half a penalty flick was awarded to the home side which Stuart Biggs calmly slotted into the bottom corner to reduce the deficit.

The Dragons started the second half much better and were continuing to play their brand of quick passing hockey to carve open the IES defence. Biggs struck again with a well taken effort to make it 2-4. IES added to their goal count soon after with a well struck reverse going in after glancing off the Dragons’ goalkeeper’s pads.

Biggs then completed his hat-trick on his first league game for the club since returning from local rivals Peterborough with a perfectly aimed deflection into goal. 3-5.

Bourne Deeping continued to press and probe, continued to test the keeper but were unable to add to their goal count. The final goal of the game went to IES after a Drag flicked penalty corner beat a diving Page.

l The Dragons’ second XI got their season up and running with a 2-1 win against last season’s high flyers Cambridge South despite falling behind early on.

A rare goal for Phil Tokens brought them level before the end of the first half with a crisp strike into the bottom corner following a short corner breakdown.

The second half saw the Dragons begin to take control and enjoy the majority of the attacks and Dan Tyler was not to be denied, having gone close earlier, and with just 5 minutes remaining collected his own rebound and fired a bullet of a shot into the unguarded net to make it 2-1 and take the three points for his side.