Vikings show their progression but are left wondering what could have been

Langtoft United take on Thorney in the PDFL Premier Division. Photo: John Evely EMN-141027-090540001
Langtoft United take on Thorney in the PDFL Premier Division. Photo: John Evely EMN-141027-090540001
Share this article

A late rally from Peterborough ICA Sports denied Langtoft United a fifth successive PDFL Premier Division victory on Saturday, but the 2-2 draw at least preserved the Vikings’ unbeaten run.

Two goals in the final 10 minutes saw a victory that would have taken Langtoft into third place slip from their grasp. But it is a point Langtoft might have taken before kick off, having been beaten comfortably by ICA back in August.

The first chance of the afternoon fell to Langtoft’s Dan Evans, but the forward shot wide after being picked out by a Dan Morris cross.

Evans did manage to find the net on 20 minutes, slotting into the bottom left corner from inside the box.

Almost immediately Langtoft nearly conceded an equaliser from a corner, but keeper Robbie Virgin produced a fantastic reaction save.

Langtoft had chances to extend their lead, with Sam Thompson blazing over after bearing down on goal and full-back Jacob Smitheringale sending a 25-yard drive wide of the post.

The Vikings managed to make their period of sustained possession count just before half-time. Ben Porter, breaking out from his central midfield role, found himself on the left wing, controlled a pass and broke down the flank. His low, drilled cross was expertly dummied by Evans, allowing Talal Karama to sweep the ball home.

Langtoft looked comfortable in the early stages of the second half, without ever threatening the ICA goal, but as the match wore on, the Vikings became penned in their own half.

Some good keeping by Virgin and some desperate tackles and blocks by defenders Calum Parker, Keir O’Sullivan, Adam Sparkes and Smitheringale kept ICA at bay until a deflected strike nestled in the bottom corner in the 80th minute.

Once the Langtoft defence had been breached, a second goal seemed inevitable as the home side wilted, and it duly arrived three minutes from the end. Alex Weston and Jacob Wilson were the ICA goalscorers.

Langtoft manager Phil Gadsby said: “It was hard to know how to react after the game. In one respect I was disappointed that we had let a two-goal lead slip but on the other hand we were under some serious pressure second half and ICA had some good chances.

“I feel we were let down by a few of the lads in the second half who didn’t have the energy needed to help protect the defence, who were superb, as was Robbie Virgin.

“After being beaten by ICA early on in the season we knew it’d be a tough game so all in all I’m happy with a point and it keeps our unbeaten run going to five games.”