Midweek win keep’s Deeping on track for top four finish

Deeping Rangers v Cogenhoe United. Match action.'Photo: MSMP150214-027ow EMN-140215-191905001
Deeping Rangers v Cogenhoe United. Match action.'Photo: MSMP150214-027ow EMN-140215-191905001

Two second half goals from Deeping Rangers’ Ryan Oliver and David Burton-Jones sealed a 2-1 win and United Counties League double over Wisbech on Saturday.

This was a match that had been postponed several times due to waterlogging, but the surface on this occasion was rock hard and a little uneven in parts.

Earlier in the season Rangers had defeated Wisbech 4-1 at Outgang Road at a time when The Fenmen were finding their feet in the UCL.

After a mixed start, results wise, including a run to the quarter finals of the FA Vase, they seem to have steadied the ship and look to be in line for a finish in the top half of the table.

Rangers, meanwhile, still fight for a place in the top four. Indeed this victory lifted them into fourth above Huntingdon who have plenty of games in hand.

Rangers started the game in a sloppy fashion, and a defensive mix up after six minutes led to Tony Battersby putting the home side ahead.

Wisbech continued to create several chances to increase their score during the half, but either wasted them, or found the Rangers’ back four too solid.

Rangers rarely threatened Lea Jordan in the home 
goal, and the half came to 
a close with the Deeping faithful wondering when their team were going to join the game.

The start to the second period was delayed while a replacement linesman was found, referee Brian O’Sullivan suffering what seemed like a muscle strain just before half time.

When play resumed, Rangers were a changed side. Tuncay Korkmaz’s half time talk had certainly done 
the trick as the Rangers forwards swept toward the home goal.

Rangers drew level on 56 minutes, converting past Jordan from inside the penalty area.

At this point Wisbech seemed to wilt and lose the cohesion of the first half.

Just after the hour mark, skipper David Burton-Jones squeezed the ball between the post and the outstretched arm of the keeper to put Rangers ahead for the first time in the game.

After this Deeping continued to press and really deserved a third goal when Scott Ginty drove a fizzing free kick, from some distance, against the home crossbar.

Wisbech came into it more as the game drew to its close, but Rangers held firm to take all three points.

Full time; Wisbech Town 1 Deeping Rangers 2

Deeping Rangers; Doughty - Braithwaite - Parker - Tinkler - Cartwright - Burton-Jones(c) - Flack - Ginty - Oliver(Bogusz) - Heron - Graham(Stone)

MOM; Joe Braithwaite