Langtoft United secure an important victory over Holbeach

editorial image

Langtoft made it five PDFL Premier Division wins from six on Saturday with a 2-1 victory at home to Holbeach United Reserves, a game that was a lot more comfortable than the scoreline suggests.

Langtoft started the game brightly with Jacob Smitheringale giving the hosts the lead after only ten minutes, heading home a Ben Porter corner to record his first goal of the season.

Minutes later the Vikings’ lead should have been extended. Again Porter delivered a superb ball into the box, but this time Calum Parker could only head over when well placed. Next a Jobi Froud header, which looked to be heading into the top corner, was superbly tipped over by the visiting keeper.

Langtoft continued to create chances, but it was the visitors who struck next.

A mix-up in the home defence resulted in an indirect free-kick being awarded. The free-kick was played short and the resulting strike somehow managed to find its way through a sea of bodies and into the Langtoft net.

Langtoft went in for the half-time break slightly shell shocked but emerged far more confident. They began to dominate the midfield with the impressive Mark Hynes driving the team forward and his midfield partner Porter dictating the tempo of play.

Although the Vikings enjoyed the majority of the ball, it took Langtoft until the 70th minute to retake the lead, Liam Buttery turning his full-back inside out before delivering a pinpoint cross for Talal Karama to head home.

Minutes later Karama thought he had his second of the afternoon but saw his effort brilliantly tipped away by the Holbeach number one.

Langtoft manager Phil Gadsby said: “That was an important win for us. Holbeach were hard to break down at times but we were patient in our play and ultimately got what we deserved.

“If we’d been a bit more composed in front of goal then we could have had a few more but, after a poor performance against Thorney, the most important thing was picking up the 3 points.”