Goalkeeping heroics see Pointon lift Ancaster Cup

Football news.
Football news.
Share this article

Pointon beat Deeping Rangers Reserves 2-1 to win the Ancaster Cup on Saturday thanks to two goals from striker Ian Jacquest.

Deeping took the lead through Danny Ireland before Jacquest wove his way up the field to bring the village side back into the tie.

The Pointon striker then latched onto a through ball midway through the second half to seal the win for his club in the 114th year of the competition.

Played on Bourne Town’s Abbey Lawn pitch in baking hot weather conditions, Pointon came out fired up at the chance of winning some silverware.

Pointon threatened the Deeping goal with freekicks and Rangers’ goalkeeper James Doughty had to produce good saves early to keep his side in the match, first to keep out Ollie Cooper and then to stop Tom Zealand’s effort from a corner.

But Deeping began to play their way into the game and when the ball fell to Ireland just outside the 18 yard box he took the opportunity with aplomb, curling the ball into the net to give the Pointon keeper no chance.

But the lead was short lived and Jacquest levelled quickly afterwards, showing great skill and pace to beat the Deeping defence and finish smartly with a looping shot.

Doughty again had to be sharp to prevent Jacquest turning the game on its head. The goalkeeper just saved the strikers’ dangerous free-kick.

Both sides threatened before half time with the goalkeepers both earning praise.

After the break it was Pointon who were living very dangerously. Keeper Tom Hill was called into action to deny Buttery before he was beaten by a Ryan Oliver shot; fortunately for him the Pointon custodian watched the ball rebound off the post.

With the beating sun taking its toll Pointon looked to be wilting after a momentous effort in the first half without just reward. But midway through the half Jacquest beat the offside trap to score what proved to be the decisive goal.

But Pointon were made to sweat for their victory and Hill saved his side more than once with Deeping battering down on their opponent’s goal.

With time running out Rangers’ keeper came up for a late corner which led to a goalmouth scramble. As so often is the case when a keeper comes up to provide and extra man, Doughty had a chance to shoot but Pointon desperately blocked the ball and cleared. The final whistle soon followed to spark the celebrations and commiserations.

Deeping were also beaten in the final last year, losing 3-1 to Cottesmore on that occasion.

Deeping Rangers Reserves: James Doughty, Steff Ladley, Ryan Birtles, Spencer Tinkler, Jacob Smitheringale, Carl Griffiths, Ben Cowles, Ben Porter, Ryan Oliver, Liam Buttery, Danny Ireland.

Substitutes: Jordan Smith, Jack Davenport, Simon Dethick.

Pointon: Tom Hill, Callum Alexander, Tom Zealand, Richard Meldrum, Harry Kirknan, Jamie Andrews, Harry Millard, Ollie Cooper, Ian Jacquest, Nathan Wilson, Ryan Williams.

Substitutes: George Sharpe, Alex Marr, Derek Mwale, Sam Elliff.