Bourne beat Rippingale to progress in the cup

Share this article

Bourne Town Juniors under-18s proved themselves tactically too astute for league leaders Rippingale in the quarter final of the league cup on Sunday, wining 5-0.

Rippingale arrived in high spirits and you could see the prospect of playing at the Abbey Lawns only buoyed their spirits but they were soon put to the sword by the rampant Bourne side.

Bourne knew that the Rippingale fullbacks like to push forward, leaving their centre backs exposed, so at every opportunity the two forwards pulled wide and ran, one-on-one, against their opponents. It only took 8 minutes for Earth to pull wide left and cross for the charging Filip Pilarz to fire home superbly, unfortunately he was injured in the process and had to be replaced by Woodcock. Rippingale were rocked and were lucky not concede a penalty 5 minutes later when Steadman was upended in the box.

They were then also lucky to still have 11 players on the pitch because as Steadman strode clear on goal he was clearly pulled back by the defender.

Steadman was causing all sorts of problems and there was no stopping him on 20 minutes when he found space on the right to drive home the second. Bourne’s midfield would not let the Rippingale midfield settle and it was 3-0, four minutes later, as Woodcock capitalised on a spill from the keeper. The Rippingale keeper then redeemed himself as twice he did enough to put the forwards off when they were clear through on goal. Rippingale kept trying to press but never found their way past the excellent Bourne defence who kept their keeper protected superbly throughout the first half. Bourne had to shuffle the pack again as both Morton and Uglow, whom had worked tirelessly in midfield, picked up knocks but they still managed to add the fifth when Woodcock found space, again, in the back line to run through and slot home.

Bourne then suffered another loss as Steadman had to be replaced, due to a shoulder injury, at halftime but with the game already over the instructions were clear for the second half. Bourne kept tight, through the middle, and let Rippingale control the ball in the areas where they could cause no damage whilst still looking dangerous on the break. Scott Buxton made one excellent save from a close range effort to keep a well deserved clean sheet for the Bourne team but had a quite morning in goal as the defence mastered their counterparts in the Rippingale attack.

Declan Earth capped a fantastic result for Bourne, against a quality Rippingale side, on 68 minutes when he twisted the defence in knots before firing home beautifully to make it five.