Baston secure league and cup double

Baston team winners of the  ChromaSports intermediate shield at PSL EMN-140305-214135009
Baston team winners of the ChromaSports intermediate shield at PSL EMN-140305-214135009
Share this article

Baston FC have completed a league and cup double with a 3-0 win over Coates Athletics Reserves on Saturday.

Martyn Holyoak struck a hat-trick for Baston to seal the PDFL Division Two title and secure promotion.

Baston’s assent to the top of the league has come late, only moving into the top spot on Thursday night with a 2-0 win over Leverington Sports Reserves.

On Thursday goals from Scott Collins and Greg Rawlinson took the Goats level with local rivals Langtoft Reserves but with a better goal difference took them top, with the Vikings unable to respond having played all their league games.

Baston started the game against Leverington in superb form, starting the brighter with half chances falling to strike partners Rawlinson and Matthew Meddler.

The midfield duo of Collins and Wayne Hobbs proved resilient and it was Collins with a fantastic curled free kick from 23 yards to put Baston in front after 25 minutes.

After the break Baston continued to create chances but failed to capitalise on them.

It was captain Dan Flood who made the difference in the 75th minute when a midfield splitting ball from the central defender found Rawlinson who turned his player to fire home and put Baston top.

Last weekend Baston defeated Wittering 1-0 in the ChromaSport & Trophies Intermediate Shield final.

Baston came out the blocks on all cylinders with half chances falling to Aaron Mourton and Rawlinson.

Wittering came close early doors but a wonderful save from gaolkeeper Liam Davis put paid to an early Wittering attack.

The first half came and went in a flicker of an eye and with a massive Baston support the second half carried on the same way as the first but both teams could not capitalise on their chances.

The game went into extra time and with Baston playing their third game in five days their were concerns that tiredness would show.

But thanks to the fitness work of Wesley and Gough Baston continued to look the freshest of the two sides.

As the first half of extra time started it was Baston who took the initiative when super sub James Simpson latched on to a clearing header from Jason Gough to loop a shot over the Wittering keeper from 25 yards with 8 minutes gone in the first period.

Baston came under pressure with minutes to go in the second period of extra time and if not for a world class save from Davis the score could have been very different, but Baston went on to secure victory.