Appeal after cats are poisoned by antifreeze

A photograph taken of Mother and Daughter - Jasmine and Posh back in 2003. EMN-141022-090841001
A photograph taken of Mother and Daughter - Jasmine and Posh back in 2003. EMN-141022-090841001
Share this article

The RSPCA are appealing to the public after two cats from Ketton died from antifreeze poisoning.

The two cats from Luffenham Road, Ketton, were found on two separate occasions, one on Sunday night and the other on Monday.

Both cats were found in a collapsed state by their owner and had to immediately be taken to Burghley Vets in Stamford, where vets sadly had no choice but to put the animals to sleep.

Blood tests taken by the vets revealed that the cats had been poisoned by antifreeze.

The two cats were mother and daughter, Jasmin and Posh, who usually come in and out of their house daily for meal times.

Owner of the two cats, Andy Elliot, noticed something was wrong when Posh didn’t come in for breakfast and by the evening still hadn’t arrived home.

Andy searched the garden and found Posh curled up in one of the garden bushes.

She was breathing but not moving. Andy rushed the cat to the vets, where sadly she had to be put to sleep.

The same thing happened the next day to her mother Jasmin, who was 12-years-old.

Andy said: “We are devastated, surely no one can do something like that, two cats in two days is a real shock and very suspicious.

“We’ve still got another cat called Smoky but we are having to keep him inside the house to keep him away from harm.”

Stamford-based RSPCA inspector Justin Stubbs, is appealing to anyone who may have any information regarding the incident to come forward.

He said: “I’m very keen to trace who has done this as its very unlikely that this was an accident.

“The person who did this needs to know how much suffering they have caused to two innocent pets, there is no exception for the malicious poisoning of any animal.

“There are humane deterrents to keep cats out of your garden, you don’t need to resort to poisoning an innocent animal.”

Anyone with any information should contact the RSPCA on: 0300 1234 

The RSPCA also has advice on its website to cat owners on what to do if you suspect your cat has ingested antifreeze, which tastes sweet. Visit and click on the advice and welfare