Wildcats to move into former Stamford Museum building

The former Stamford Museum, which is soon to be used by Wildcats Theatre School and Post-16 Academy for extra classroom space. EMN-150722-151140001
The former Stamford Museum, which is soon to be used by Wildcats Theatre School and Post-16 Academy for extra classroom space. EMN-150722-151140001

The former Stamford Museum building, which has lain empty for four years, will soon be brought back to life by a drama school.

Wildcats Theatre School and Post-16 Academy will take over the building in Broad Street in September after a renovation.

The successful school, based in St Peter’s Hill, needs extra teaching rooms and founder Caz Dolby believes the old museum building is the perfect solution.

She said: “The former museum is a fantastic venue which fits with the Wildcats ethos of offering training in beautiful buildings, such as the current Castle House campus. We are working in partnership with South Kesteven District Council to renovate the building and will be holding an opening event in early September.

“The museum campus will offer students a fully equipped study centre alongside additional teaching rooms which will also host the new Higher National Diploma in performance course. We are also interested to hear from schools and groups who would be interested in being involved in classes and activities being run at the venue.”

The museum closed in June 2011 after Lincolnshire County Council decided to cut spending in culture and adult education. The building itself was built in 1895 as a technical school and has the words “School of Art” and the Stamford crest carved above its doorway.