Watton wins Commonwealth silver with England women

England's Ellie Watton. Photo: Ady Kerry / England Hockey ENGEMN00120140502131141
England's Ellie Watton. Photo: Ady Kerry / England Hockey ENGEMN00120140502131141

Oakham teacher Ellie Watton has won a silver medal at the Commonwealth Games as part of the England women’s hockey team.

England had to settle for the silver medal on Saturday night at the Glasgow National Hockey Centre after a heartbreaking shootout defeat to Australia in the final.

England were leading 1-0, thanks to Lily Owsley’s second-half strike, as time ticked down, only 11 seconds away from what would have been a brilliant and remarkable victory. But Jodie Kenny broke English hearts with virtually the last play of the game, firing in from a penalty corner after Anna Flanagan’s initial strike was saved by Maddie Hinch.

The last-gasp equaliser meant the gold medal was decided by shootout and despite Georgie Twigg levelling things up after one each, it was Australia who held their nerve in the end to defend their Commonwealth crown with a 3-1 shootout victory.

Watton, who has taught hockey at Oakham School for the last three years, came off the replacements bench in the final. The Beeston attacker was not selected to take one of the penalties.

The performance was a marked improvement from England’s showing at the World Cup earlier this year, and England came so close to beating Australia having suffered a 3-0 defeat at their hands in the group stages of the Commonwealth Games last week.

After the final Watton Tweeted: “We came so close, but every cloud has a SILVER lining! Thank you to everyone for the incredible support.

“Thank you Glasgow 2014. An amazing experience and lots of memories.”

England reached the final following a thrilling contest against world number four side New Zealand which went to a shoot out after full-time finished 1-1 on Friday.

England goalkeeper Maddie Hinch was the hero, pulling off three saves in the shoot out to take her side through to the gold medal match the next day.

Lily Owsley had given England a 27th minute lead but just like the final England conceded a late goal. Katie Glynn equalised for the Black Sticks with just two minutes remaining to take the game into a shoot out. But Hinch kept her nerve, only conceding once from New Zealand’s four attempts. England dominated in attack as well taking the shoot out 3-1 thanks to goals from Georgie Twigg, Alex Danson and Susie Gilbert.