Your News: Don’t let your dog overindulge

Karen Wild's dogs Bonnie and Pickles enjoying Christmas

Karen Wild's dogs Bonnie and Pickles enjoying Christmas

0
Have your say

Local vets state the main reasons for admission over the Christmas period are that dogs have eaten or drunk something that is either unusual, toxic, or caused a blockage. It’s tempting to feed goodies and leave presents and decorations around but a few safety tips make Christmas with your dog a lot more fun than days spent worrying whilst the vet tries to put things right.

Raisins, sultanas and grapes, onions, chocolate and alcohol are all toxic for dogs. Don’t offer him mince pies or Christmas pudding.

Store chocolates away and ask if gifts are edible before putting them under the tree. Put drinks out of reach - a glass of Baileys might just prove too tempting for your pooch. Christmas dinner might be nice to share but could upset your dog’s tummy if he isn’t used to it. Remember that stuffing can contain onion.

Christmas decorations are interesting to dogs partly because they are ‘new’ (an instant attraction) and are quite fun to play with...until they get eaten. If your dog shows interest, especially if you have a pup, keep decorations far out of reach. For my collie, this would have meant nailing them all to the ceiling, so we restricted decorations to only two rooms and supervised him carefully instead. Don’t be like the lady whose dog decided to unwrap a can of men’s deodorant. The hissing sound gave away the crime, but the dog smelled great for days.

Happy Christmas everyone!