Three dogs die in fire at Dawsmere Kennel and Cattery, Bourne

Exteriors of Dawsmere Kennels at Bourne EMN-150120-102234009
Exteriors of Dawsmere Kennels at Bourne EMN-150120-102234009
0
Have your say

Three dogs died in a fire at a kennels.

Fire crews were called to Dawsmere Kennel and Cattery in Spalding Road, Bourne, at about 5.20am today (Monday). A fire had broken out in the reception area of the kennels.

Three crews put out the flames but tragically three dogs, which were being kept in the reception area overnight, died in the fire.

A spokesman for Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue said it was thought the fire was caused by an electric heater that fell over on to a towel.

The site is shared by Dawsmere and Three Counties Dog Rescue. A statement was posted on the Three Counties website earlier today. It said: “In the early hours of this morning there was a fire in the offices of the kennels we use for Three Counties.

“The kennels were not affected but tragically three of our dogs had been moved into holding kennels in the offices overnight for extra warmth and they perished while they slept from smoke inhalation. We use the offices to store food and bedding and to meet prospective owners. They are not usable and we are looking to get a mobile cabin on the site and to furnish it so things can go on as normally as possible.

“We would appreciate donations to help us do this and to replace the food that we had stored. You can donate through any of the options on the homepage of our website www.threecountiesdogrescue.org.

“We also need to replace our stock of bedding so please contact Paul on 077085 89792 if you can help with this. Bedding can be left at Burghley Vets in St Leonard’s Street, Stamford, and they will also be accepting donations there.

“In the meantime we will continue our work to improve the lives of the dogs and cats in our care.”